History of department
Department of Pulp and Paper Production and Industrial Ecology (PPP and IE) was established in 1988 on the base of branch of pulp and paper production and laboratory of industrial ecology of Chemical technology faculty of the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute to train specialists of environmental protection problems. In September 1990 department of analytic chemistry joined Department of Pulp and Paper Production and Industrial Ecology in order to develop the training of engineer ecologists in terms of environmental pollution.
Professor and Doctor of Engineering Sciences O. Shutko had done great job in department’s creation and specialists training for the new speciality “Industrial Ecology and Environment Protection”. In 1963 he graduated from Dnipropetrovsk Institute of Chemical Technology, worked in production association«Azot», Ministry of Chemical Industry of Ukraine. In the KPI since 1972 he has been laboratory chief, Higher Senior Officer and research advisor of the Laboratory of Industrial Ecology. Since August 1988 he had been the head of the Department PPP and IE. He was professor, doctor of technical sciences, author of 230 scientific works, including 5 monographs, 25 patents. Engaged in the research of aluminium condition in solutions, using of Aluminiumchlorohydrate for water purification, development of eco-friendly technologies, such as pulp and paper production. Liquidator of the Chernobyl accident. In April 1996professorShutko died after serious disease.
One of the speciality founders beside professor Shutkowas Assoc. A. Krysenko, who made considerable job in development of curriculums and new lecture courses as well as in preparation and organization of laboratory practical works. A. Krysenko graduated from Chemical Technology Faculty(CTF) of KPI in 1965 and worked as research officer of scientific-research institute. Candidate of Chemical Sciences. In1982 he became an associate professor of inorganic and analytic chemistry; also took part in liquidation works of the Chernobyl accident. Author of more than 50 scientific works and inventions.
The first set of 25 students on speciality “Environmental Protection” was recruited in August 1990. In addition, group of third-year studying from the other students of CTF, who expressed a desire to specialize in this field, was created in 1989. This experience was carried on in the future.
During the first years of this speciality, due to lack of material resources, laboratory works of specialized courses were carried out in research institutes of NASU. As the leader of the classes, there were involved staff members of these institution, among them were the professors S. Stavskaand M. Bryk, Assoc. I. Kryvets, who later got a job in the Department.
After 2 years of work on the department the material and technological base was created for conducting of laboratory works, course works and graduation works for students ecologists , as well as laboratory of industrial ecology was organized M. Homelya, who was responsible for preparing of engineer-ecologists, contributed a lot of work and energy to organize this laboratory. He graduated KPI in 1980 and worked as research officer of the Institute of Organic Chemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Candidate of Chemical Sciences (1988). Since 1989 he has worked in the KPI as a Higher Senior Officer of scientific laboratory, since 1991 as associate professor and since 1997 as the head of the Department PPP and IE. Doctor of Engineering Sciences(2004).Professor (2005). Author of 185 scientific works.
Since 1993,the graduate school of technology of pulp and paper production and industrial ecology was opened on the department. In 1993, owing to the initiative of the department the first in Ukraine Scientific Council was organized with awarding of scientific degrees of Doctor and Candidate of Sciences for speciality Pulp and Paper Production and Industrial Ecology. The first head of Scientific Council was professor O. Shutko, scientific secretary of Council was Assoc. L. Sribniy.
Research work in the field of ecology covers a wide range of ecological and technological issues, it’s made by the lecturer sand laboratory scientists of industrial ecology, together with post-graduate students and students. Research laboratory of Industrial Ecology was founded in 1983, initially as a research group at the Department of Technology of electrochemical industries, and in 1987 it was separated as independent laboratory. Leader and organizer of the laboratory was Higher Senior Officer Shutko Scientific activities of the laboratory were developing of technologies for recycling industrial waste, which contain aluminium for their use in wastewater purification. Research officers of the laboratory in different years of its existence were N. Rubashova, M. Shabanov, L. Butchenko,V. Korotchenko,L. Polivanov, N. Omelchenko, L. Smirnova, V. Eychys, J. Karapetyan and others. In 1986, members of the research laboratory of industrial ecology worked hardon the aftermath of Chernobyl accident. During three weeks, there were created and released special reagents in sufficient quantities, established technology and special mobile units for water purificaton from radioactive contaminants in PUSo around Kyiv and 30-kilometer zone.
Laboratory scientists have published 6 monographs and over 200 other publications, received over thirty author certificates, gold medal "Blue Planet" at International Exhibition "Inheba" and two silver medals of ENEA Ukraine. Experts at the international conferences, including conferences UNECE in 1984 and 1990, recognized scientific works of the lab workers.
Alongside with organization of the educational process for environmental professionals, the Department continued preparation of chemist-technologists of pulp and paper production. Traditionally, as during previous years, the specialty TPPP was carried out annual admittion of 25 students. In addition to full-time education there is part-time education for specialists of paper production (10-25 people).
Great merit for the improvement of the educational process and training of technologists of paper production veterans belongs to veterans of the Department: prof. S. Primakov, Assoc. V. Milovzorov (died in 2003), Assoc. M. Kushko, senior teacher I. Tsarenko, who for more than 30 years of the life dedicated to researching and teaching activities in the KPI. Preparing of engineer technologists of pulp and paper production at the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute has carried out since its inception. Originally, speciality belonged to Department of Organic Technology, which was preparing specialists for the oil, leather, food industry and dry distillation of wood and coal experts at the time. There were leaders of the Department: 1900-1911 years - prof. M. Tikhvinskiy, 1911-1912 - prof. V. Shaposhnikov, 1913-1917 - prof. S. Fokin, 1917-1922 - prof. I. Traubenbergh.
By 1923there was no separate special course of technology of pulp and paper production. Special knowledge students had received from the general course of organic technology. During the period of 1900-1924 years in the Department of Organic Technology were prepared 16 engineers, who were specializing as specialists of paper production. Some of them became prominent experts: prof. V. Osmulskiy, prof. F. Bobrov, prof. S. Fotiyev, who worked as the head of the department of technology of pulp and paper production in the Leningrad Forest Technical Academy, prof. V. Fiseyskiy, Assoc. I. Bogoyavlenskyi, Assoc. K. Khokhol, who had worked for many years as a technical director and chief engineer of many businesses, including Ukrndipropaper, Ukrpapirtest, and since 1953 worked as assistant professor in the KPI and others.In the period from 1923 to 1930 specialist training of specialist-technologists for the paper industry was carried out in KPI by combined department of organic production under the supervision of prof. M. Orlov, who taught a general course of organic technology for all students of the chemical faculty and a special course of pulp and paper technology for students of pulp and paper specialty. In June 1926, the Department of Organic Technology organized a research station of paper production plant under the supervision of prof. Orlov, in which students had laboratory practice of control of pulp and paper production and conducted scientific research of the use in pulp and paper industries various native species of plant materials as straw, reed, corn stalks, flax and hemp Kostrytsy, etc. In this work took part prof. Orlov, Assoc. K. Dolgov, engineers I. Markov, N. Holub, P. Medvedev, who later worked at the Ukrainian Research Institute of Paper (UkrRIP). The first post-revolutionary engineers with the production of paper were graduated in 1924.
In1924-1930 12 experts were graduated in total. During the intensive industrialization of the USSR and the associated with it construction of a number of large at the time pulp and paper factories (Balahinskyi, Kamsk, Syaskyi, Kondopozkyi plants, etc.) in the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute based on the Department of Organic Technology in 1930 a special department of paper and pulp technology was established. At the same time Pulp and Paper faculty was organized, which was funded by USSR’s Narkomlis. Pulp and Paper faculty had been existed until 1948.
The organizer and the first Head of the department was Professor Osmulskyy V.F. He has graduated from the KPI with a specialty "Technologist of paper production". He worked as a head of production at the paper factory "Spartacus", in 1923 - Technical Director’s of Ukrpapirtrest Assistant. From 1930 to 1937 he had headed the Paper production technology department. He was engaged in the development of technologies with the use of straw and other annual plants for the paper production.
In 1937 Professor Osmulskyy V.F. was repressed. Except Professor Osmulskyy V.F. there were Professor Tabenskyy O.O., Assistant Dolgov K.A., engineers Vnukov I.M., Hohol K.G., Resh N.P. who were invited to the department. Thanks to the leadership of Professor Osmulskyy V.F. scientific research work on the use of non-wood materials for the paper industry in Ukraine that has been started before, has been expanded. Samples of cellulose and paper from the stems of corn, flax and hemp chaff were obtained. In Poninkivska paper factory the method of producing cellulose from straw was developed and introduced. Activity of Research Station has expanded so that in March 1931 Ukrainian branch of the All-Union Scientific Research Institute of paper, based on it, was organised. Later it became an independent Ukrainian Scientific Research Institute of Paper (UkrSRIP). In 1939 under the leadership of Professor Bobrov F.F., the Head of the department, the construction of the experimental setup for paper production, which has to include the whole technological process from grinding fiber to manufacturing of paper on a special machine, had been started. Before the war, most of technological equipment of the process was installed in the basement of the department, but with the beginning of World War II, this work was suspended.
Bobrov F.F. (1881-1949) has graduated from the KPI in 1907 with a specialty "Technology of fibrous materials". He worked as head of cardboard and cellulose factory, in 1916 – lecturer in KPI and Commercial Institute. From 1918 to 1938 he worked in Moscow in the main department of paper production and at the same time - an associate professor in the Institute of National Economy (1920-1930), then he was the Professor, Head of the department of cellulose and paper industry in Industrial Institute (1930-1933) and in the Institute of executives (1932-1938). Doctor of Science (1937). From 1938 to 1948 - Head of the Department of Technologies of cellulose and paper production in KPI. He was the Dean of Cellulose and Paper Faculty. Scientific direction - receiving paper and cardboard using material from one-year plant. Author of more than 50 scientific publications, including the monograph "Theory and Practice of using fibrous materials" (1916). Before World War II, during the 1931-1940, 113 engineers and 68 mechanical engineers has graduated from the Department.
During the war, the lecturers of the department Dolgov K.A. and Vnukov I.M. had joined the army. The department was evacuated with the Institute to Tashkent, where its work was attended by prof. Bobrov F.F., PhD Lewinskiy I.V., PhD Goncharov S.V., prof. Fiseyskyy V.N. During this time, the Department, in addition to educational work, has provided technical assistance to Tashkent paper factory and has carried out about a number of other special tasks. In Tashkent 16 engineers and 12 mechanical engineers had graduated without degree projects protection. In the postwar period the department started to prepare 20 specialists per year. In 1948 Cellulose and Paper faculty was disbanded because of its unpopularity. Chemical technical faculty had started to prepare technologist for cellulose and paper production, at the Department of Technology and equipment for cellulose and paper production. Faculty of Chemical Engineering (Department of machines and apparatus of chemical industry) had started to prepare mechanical engineers.
Dolgov K.A. (1903-1979) graduated from the KPI in 1926 with Chemical Engineer degree. He continued to work on the Paper Research Station at the Department of Organic Technology. Since 1930 he has worked as an Assistant of the new department Technology of cellulose and paper production, since 1934 to 1937 – as an Associate Professor of Analytical Chemistry. Since 1948 to 1969 he was the Head of the Department of Technology of cellulose and paper production. He took part in The Great Patriotic War. Since 1946 to 1948 he was a Dean of Cellulose and Paper Faculty. In November 1971, the Department of Technology of cellulose and paper production was united with the Department of Organic Chemistry under the direction of prof. Babin E.P. Research Laboratory has been eliminated. In 1976 Department of Organic Synthesis has joined this Department, after this it has become the Department of Organic Chemistry and Technology of Organic Substances under the direction of prof. Yurchenko O.G. Professor and Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Yurchenko O.G., graduated from the Chemical Technical Faculty of KPI in 1957 with the specialty “Technology of Organic Synthesis”. After post-graduation studying (scientific adviser prof. Stepanov F.M.) and defense of candidate dissertation in 1964 he works as an Associate Professor of Organic and Petrochemical Synthesis, since 1972 he becomes Head of the Department. In 1975 he has protected his doctoral dissertation. He has become Professor since 1976, Honored worker of Higher School of Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic since 1985. His scientific direction - studying of organic frame compounds. He had participated in the creation of successful scientific school of frame connections chemistry. He had published more than 200 scientific works, among of which there are 27 certificates. His scientific research has got wide recognition in our country and abroad. Since 1989 – he’s become the Member of American Institute of Chemists, since 1995 – academician in Academy of Sciences of Higher School of Ukraine. Under his leadership 3 doctoral and 9 candidate dissertations had been defensed. He pays a lot of attention to the development of Chemical Technical Faculty, the Dean of which was prof. Yurchenko O.G. since 1975, who was also the member of Scientific Council of petrochemicals and refining of NAS of Ukraine, the member of the Presidium of the National Council of Science and Technology, Head of Kyiv Regional Directors of the Ukrainian Chemical Society.
In 1988 the Department Technologies of Cellulose and Paper production and Industrial Ecology was founded. The Department has branch offices in Ukrainian Research Institute of cellulose and paper industry and Institute of Colloid and Water Chemistry of the NAS of Ukraine.
The main scientific direction of the specialty in the united Department is to provide fiber products from straw and other annual plants and their rational use. A scientific field of studying the state of metals in acidic and alkaline mediums, the development of new reagents for water purification and recycling was established at the department.
In 1990 the Department of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry was reorganized, laboratory of Analytical Chemistry has joined the Department Technology of cellulose and paper production and industrial ecology.
In February 2000, the Department Technology of cellulose and paper production and industrial ecology has joined Chemical Engineering faculty (CEF), in November 2002 it was renamed to the Department of Ecology and Technologies of Plant Polymers (E and TPP).
Today the Department E and TPP is fully staffed. Regularly graduators are invited for work. In general, the department consists of 11 young teachers and researchers, graduators of postgraduate studies who have been trained in the Department, including 7 PhDs.
There are 447 Ukrainian students who are studying in this Department, 302 of them are stationary students and 145 are part-time students. There are also 14 contract stationary students and 102 part-time contract students. Students are provided with textbooks and methodical manuals. Condition and equipment of laboratory facilities are satisfying.
There is effective career counseling at the Department. For example, all the graduates of 2007 are employed. There were 43 applications received for 26 students with specialty “Ecology and Environmental protection”, 35 applications were received for 19 students with specialty “Chemical technology of processing of wood and plant material”.
There is a high quality of educational process provided at the Department. Both of the Department specialties have been accredited. The department cooperates with enterprises of paper industry, academic institutions. Recently, the complex with the Chemistry Department of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine has been organized. There is also a cooperation agreement with the holding company "Ukrpapirprom." Through these organizations orientation work is done, to provide the distribution of graduates and creating bases of practice. As part of these agreements problems of retraining teachers are resolved. Courses for retraining specialists with the involvement of the top specialists in Kyiv have been organized. There is department of Institute of Pre-University training which prepares entrants to entry to the both specialties at the Department.